Sunday 15 August 2010

PADS- #1

What follows is the true account of the first case for the Paramedic Amateur Detective Society - SOC

The ambulance raced through the greasy streets of North London battering through the crisp chilled air, rain spat weakly at the windscreen but effectively smeared any recognition of its occupants. Blue strobe lights dissipated into the new dawn as sirens echoed into the empty stillness, disturbing the tranquil serenity..


Roaring through potholes, which would normally take several minutes to safely negotiate their mercy dash continued with reckless abandon. Lurching violently across the street, the ambulance skidded onto new tarmac and fought against gravity’s pull to send it tumbling into explosive carnage. Catching the kerb, dustbins carefully placed on the edge of pavements for the day’s collection were left rocking gently as the whirlwind swept past them.

The morning chorus stilled by this raucous newcomer, hesitantly started again as all six wheels safely resumed contact and the sudden silence heralded a much more sedate pace. An ominous foreboding hung in the morning air awaiting its conclusion and storm clouds gathered for the main event.

‘What rumours?’ shouted Wyse who hadn’t adjusted to the change in volume and refused to relinquish his hold of the siren switch.

‘Nothing really, I mean, I don’t know why I mentioned it,’ replied Elms wishing he hadn’t.

‘Now Elms, I have broad shoulders and I will not ask for any names and I really do insist you tell me.’

‘Well, if you’re sure?’ carried on Elms, realising he had fallen down a hole and was still digging, ‘they say you’re getting too old and maybe you should retire. Be sort of er, put out to pasture, ever since...’

‘Who said that?’ demanded Wyse.

‘You said you weren’t going to ask for names.’

‘I didn’t realise I would have to defend such serious allegations.’

‘You don’t have to defend anything to me,’ said Elms, ‘no one believes the rumours.’

‘Of course they don’t but that is not the point. If one allows these falsehoods to continue unchallenged, eventually they gain a life of their own and in themselves become true.’

‘Really I don’t know who started them, honestly,’

‘I’m not angry Elms, if that is what you fear?’

‘You’re not?’

‘No of course not, I admit ordinarily these malicious slurs would crush lesser men but as you will learn, I am no normal man.’

‘Oh, I already know that. It’s just I didn’t want you thinking I agreed with them.’

‘My dear Elms, I know exactly how you view me.’

‘You do?’

‘Yes and although flattering, you must not put me on such a high pedestal. No it is others who must fear my wrath. I shall not rest until those who are responsible for what has happened to me have been exposed and brought to justice. In fact I am determined...’

‘Sorry Mr. Wyse we’re here,’ said Elms, abruptly stopping the ambulance with an unnecessary screech of brakes in the middle of the road. Hastily he released his seatbelt, opened the driver’s door and abandoned the ambulance before Wyse could take his next breath.

Entertainment Blogs
Entertainment blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment